Prior to joining the firm, Peter worked for a major airline both in operations and the legal department and has broad experience of advising and assisting airlines with all kinds of legal matters.
Peter's practice encompasses both contentious and non-contentious aviation matters, with a focus on aviation liability work in Latin America, particularly Brazil. Peter acts for many airlines and their insurers in the defence of claims relating a broad range of aviation losses including handling large airline accounts and multi-jurisdictional disputes. Peter also has experience of airline commercial and regulatory issues such as airport slots, airline alliances including code sharing and frequent flyer programme participation and Regulation 261/2004 on denied boarding, cancellation and delay.
Up until 2018 Peter was based in Brazil and is fluent in Portuguese; he also speaks French.
- Assisting airlines and their insurers deal with claims and other issues arising out of major air accidents across Latin America;
- Handling broad range of liability claims against airlines and other operators across Latin America;
- Advising airlines and their insurers on claim trends, statistics and developments in jurisprudence in Latin America, particularly Brazil;
- Dealing with subrogated claims for airlines and their insurers, for example against manufacturers and airports;
- Assisting aviation reinsurers and reinsurance brokers resolve claims handling issues encountered with local insurance markets in Latin America, particularly Brazil;
- Advising regarding slot transactions at London airports including sale, purchase, lease, joint use and babysitting agreements;
- Advising various airlines on accession to airline alliances in respect of alliance agreements, codesharing, FFP participation and other issues;
- Drafting wet leases, charter agreements and other operator terms including jet share agreements;
- The review and redrafting of the conditions of carriage (for both passenger and cargo) for a number of airlines;
- Providing legal input into several impact assessments for the EU Commission on EU aviation regulatory provisions.