Gareth's practice focuses on aviation claims and he represents insurers and their insureds across many jurisdictions including those within the UK, Europe, the Middle East, Africa, Central and South America and also litigation in the United States.
His experience includes airlines, disaster claims, airport operation and ground handling issues, maintenance organisations, general aviation (fixed and rotor wing as well as hot air balloons), contractual disputes, subrogation, security issues and policy coverage.
Gareth advises war insurers on war related claims.
Gareth is recommended in the 2020/2021 Chambers and Partners Directory and also Legal 500 for his work in aviation insurance and litigation.
- Advising reinsurers on the LaMia Airlines major loss in Colombia (2016)
- Advising reinsurers and handling claims arising from the fatal accident of a domestic airline in the Democratic Republic of Congo in 2019
- Advising reinsurers and handling claims arising from the overrun of a domestic airline on take-off in Kenya in 2019
- Acting for insurers in respect of helicopter and fixed wing losses in Chile, Colombia, Guatemala, Mexico, Panama, Peru, Venezuela and the Caribbean
- Advising insurers further to a fatal aircraft accident in December 2014 in The Bahamas
- Handling claims and US litigation in Texas following a fatal aircraft accident in Guatemala in 2008
- Advising insurers in relation to a high profile helicopter accident in Angola that was litigated in South Africa
- Advising war insurers as a result of incidents in Brazil, the Canary Islands, China, Libya, Mozambique and Venezuela
- Dealing with claims arising from the crash of an MD-11 at Shanghai International Airport in 2009
- Handling airline claims further to incidents including in South America, Europe, the Caribbean and US
- Advising insurers as a result of claims brought against airports in the Caribbean, South Africa and the United Kingdom
- Advising insurers in relation to a fatal aircraft accident in Galway, Ireland in 2007 and dealing with the ongoing High Court litigation in Dublin
- Advising insurers on multiple claims arising from the Shoreham Air Show crash, UK in 2015
- Advising insurers further to fatal Cessna Grand Caravan crash in Kenya in June 2018
- Handling losses arising from two Metroliner crashes in Bolivia in 2011 and 2013
- Advising insurers and handling claims arising from rotor and fixed wing losses in the UK and Europe including Ireland, Iceland, Luxembourg, France, Germany, Spain, Sweden, Switzerland and Turkey
- Advising insurers and reinsurers and handling claims and losses arising from rotor and fixed wing losses in Africa including Egypt, Ethiopia, Ghana, Nigeria, South Africa and Tanzania
- Advising insurers and reinsurers on subrogation actions arising from incidents in Africa, Central and South America and the US