Seaton is a Partner based in London and a key member of the firm's cyber team.
Seaton assists corporate and insurer clients manage domestic and international cyber incidents and data breaches. Having advised on many hundreds of breaches, he has extensive experience advising on the consequent regulatory investigations and navigating the associated enforcement challenges, including appealing ICO fines and decisions. He also deals with the data subject access requests and litigation that follow a breach and has represented clients facing group claims from multiple claimants. He also assists clients to improve their overall cyber resilience through a range of pre-breach services such as cyber simulations.
Before becoming a cyber and TMT specialist, Seaton had general insurance litigation practice, advising predominantly on professional negligence claims and coverage issues.
- Cyber: advising a US based technology company in relation to an ICO investigation following a cyber attack that led to the loss of many millions of customer records.
- Cyber: acting for a high street retailer and plc following a high-profile data breach including work on the regulatory investigation and subsequent regulatory enforcement challenge before the First Tier Tribunal.
- Cyber: advising a technology company following a breach of a client account connected to its news platform which led to a high-profile and widely reported data breach.
- Cyber: advising a charity linked to a well-known international sporting organisation in relation to a website misconfiguration leading to the disclosure of confidential information and threat of publication by a journalist.
- Cyber: advising a university in relation to invoice fraud perpetrated against students following an email mailbox compromise.
- Cyber: assisting a law firm in the wake of a cyber-attack that compromised their claims files and required notification to the ICO and SRA.
- Cyber: advising large numbers of US companies in relation to their GDPR exposure following data breaches.
- Group claims: dealing with data subject access requests made on behalf of multiple claimants as the beginning to a group claim.
- Group claims: representing a retailer in relation to multiple group claims brought against it following a high profile data breach.
- Cyber coverage: advising an insurer in relation to a cyber exclusion clause following the theft of millions of pounds by way of payment diversion fraud.
- Defamation: advising an individual insured under a cyber policy in relation to a claim following the publication of information related to a fraud.