Corey Greenwald focuses his practice on litigation and arbitration of complex insurance and commercial disputes. He has litigated matters at the trial and appellate levels in both US state and federal courts, and is recognized by The Legal 500 US as a Next Generation Partner in litigation. In addition, Corey's advice is often sought by insurers and reinsurers in non-contentious matters, including advice on policy wordings.
Over the course of his career, Corey has advised insurers and reinsurers across multiple lines of coverage, including energy, first-party property, marine, Bermuda form, general liability, excess liability, construction and reinsurance. He has successfully represented US and foreign insurers in litigation and arbitration involving high-value insurance coverage disputes relating to property damage, business interruption and pollution and product liability. He is also regularly appointed by insurers as defense counsel to represent insureds in connection with claims by third parties for liability arising out of the insured’s operations and/or products. In addition, Corey often is called upon to handle complex commercial disputes in connection with commodities trading, major marine casualties, the international sale of goods, oil spills and hazardous substances discharges.
Corey frequently handles large-scale insurance coverage and commercial disputes in tandem with the firm's offices in the United States, United Kingdom, Singapore, China, Toronto, Dubai and Mexico.
- New York
- New Jersey
- US District Courts for the Southern and Eastern Districts of New York
- US District Court for the District of New Jersey
- US Court of Appeals for the Second Circuit
- J.D., with honors, Albany Law School, 2006. Executive Editor and Board Member, Albany Law Review. Recipient of the Jay H. Milstein Award for Highest Standing in Professional Responsibility. Justinian Society.
- B.A., Washington University, St. Louis, 2003
- New York City Bar Association
- Maritime Law Association of the United States
- Committee on Maritime Arbitration and Mediation
- Junior editor of the bi-annual MLA Report
- Represented two leading private equity funds in connect with a financing transaction (valued at more than USD 100 million) to acquire a fleet of offshore support vessels, and advised on maritime, pollution and environmental risks.
- Represented US based owners of fleet of tankers in connection with purchase and sale of multiple vessels.
- Represented and advised leading Bermuda based vessel owners in connection with negotiation and sale of vessel to foreign buyers.
- Advised leading Chinese corporation on Jones Act requirements in connection with evaluation of opportunities to start new line of business to conduct US coastwise trade.
- Advice and assistance on non-contentious matters relating to charter party wordings and the sale, purchase and financing of vessels.
- Defended a primary pollution liability underwriter in a claim by excess liability underwriters for defense costs incurred following the collision of a laden oil barge and tanker in the Mississippi River. Won the case after trial in Federal Court.
- Advised and acted for offshore energy underwriters in respect of a claim in arbitration for property damage arising out of a subsea pipeline rupture in the North Sea valued at USD 50 million and resulting business interruption claim valued at USD 300 million.
- Advising London market insurer in respect of its liability insurance coverage of a distributor of pharmaceuticals in the United States in connection with lawsuits by state and local governments that have been combined into a Multidistrict Litigation (MDL).
- Defending insured, commercial diving company, in connection with lawsuit filed by diver seeking damages in excess of USD 5 million for bodily injury suffered in the course of his employment at the project site.
- Advising onshore renewable energy underwriters in respect of claims for property damage to wind turbines at three project locations due to locking pin failures and resulting business interruption claims.
- Advising onshore renewable energy underwriters in respect of a claim for property damage and business interruption losses resulting from turbine fire.
- Advised a pollution underwriter in a claim arising from the salvage of two fully laden oil barges grounded in the Mississippi River and handled litigation arising between insurers over payment of the salvage costs and expenses. Won case after trial in Federal Court.
- Advised onshore renewable energy underwriters in respect of claim for property damage to solar panels (microfractures) result from a hurricane.
- Advising onshore renewable energy underwriters in respect of claim for repair costs arising out of IGBT inverter failures and resulting business interruption claim.
- Advising onshore renewable energy underwriters on application of Series Loss Clause to multiple claims for repair costs arising out of IGBT inverter failures at multiple project sites covered under a single policy and resulting business interruption claims.
- Handling matters in litigation and arbitration involving complex maritime and commercial disputes arising from major marine casualties, cargo loss, damage and contamination, commodities trading, international sales contracts and the arrest and attachment of vessels and bank funds.
- Handling disputes over laytime, demurrage and detention.
- Representing major Mexican mining company, as vessel charterer, in connection with claim by vessel owner for demurrage and vessel damage.
- Representing charterer of vessel in defense of claims by vessel owner for breach of charter party for unpaid hire and port expenses.
- Successfully defended leading Chinese ocean carrier in connection with lawsuit seeking damages in excess of USD 3 million for alleged breach of agency contract.
- Advised major European commodities trader on force majeure claims arising from geopolitical events.
- Advising leading non-US palm oil producer on regulatory matters and the potential ban on the importation of their products into the United States involving US Customs and Border Protection.
- Advising vessel owners on US law aspects of vessel sale, sale-leaseback, purchase and financing transactions.
- Advised domestic marine cargo underwriters in connection with a coverage dispute arising out of destruction of the insureds pharmaceuticals in storage.
- Advised domestic marine cargo underwriters in connection with a coverage dispute arising out of alleged theft of merchandise from the insured's warehouse.
- Advised and acted for offshore energy underwriters in respect of a claim for property damage arising out of a subsea pipeline rupture in the North Sea valued at USD 50 million and resulting business interruption claim valued at USD 300 million.
- Advised onshore energy underwriters in respect of a pipeline rupture and loss of use claim involving a pipeline in Alberta, Canada valued at CAN 65 million.
- Advising primary marine stock throughput policy underwriters in a coverage dispute arising out of the absence of misappropriation of sunflower seeds which were stored in a grain elevator in Ukraine.
- Advising onshore energy underwriters in respect of a claim for property damage to steam turbine located at a facility in South America and resulting business interruption claim.
- Advised primary marine stock throughput policy underwriters in a coverage dispute in a claim arising out of wetting damage to insured's fireworks products stored at their facility in Texas.
- Advised primary property policy underwriters in respect of a claim arising out of a fire at the insured's biofuel production facility and resulting property damage and business interruption claim valued in excess of USD 20 million.
- Advising reinsurers of a primary marine stock throughput policy in a coverage dispute over a claim for alleged loss of product due to a mandatory recall valued at USD 40 million.