Chris is recognised by clients for being a heavyweight litigator when necessary, but also for promoting resolution where possible. He is known for his commercial straightforward approach.
Chris has been a partner since 2005. He focuses on corporate disputes, IT disputes and procurement litigation, as well as big ticket commercial disputes for large corporates and PLCs.
Chris is highly recommended in both the Legal 500 and Chambers & Partners:
Clients say that Chris "is approachable, renders the complex into simple language and gives practical advice in line with the commercial realities of the situation as well as the academic legal issues." Chambers UK Guide to the Legal Profession.
"He is praised for his ability to act on a wide range of company and commercial matters involving M&A, contractual, liability and fraud disputes. He recently took on the Ministry of Defence in the High Court on behalf of a FTSE 100 company with a procurement grievance." Chambers UK Guide to the Legal Profession.
Chris Burdett is ‘a seasoned litigator and master strategist. Also thoughtful, engaging and very good to work with’ and ‘one of the best litigators around - he is strategic, calm, practical and highly intelligent’ - Legal 500 UK.
- Acting for a major corporate in cross border litigation relating to fraud and breach of contract with total claims in excess of £1bn. Including handling breach of trust litigation is London with various ancillary freezing orders and overseeing Arbitrations and criminal proceedings in Italy and fraud claims in New York.
- Acting for a major insurer in a multi-million pound cross border contract dispute following the counterpartys material breach of contract, advising on the English law aspects and quarterbacking overall strategy in multiple strands of the case in France and England.
- Acting for a high net worth individual and his trust in the defence of a multi million pound asset tracing claim, litigating in London, and overseeing aspects in Hong Kong, New Zealand and Guernsey.
- Acting for private equity shareholders in the defence of a minority shareholder (founder) claim of unfair prejudice and breach of a shareholders agreement.
- Acting for the founders of a Newco in the defence of a springboard injunction and claims of breach of restrictive covenants and misuse of confidential information.
- Pursuing claims in excess of €500m in the London Commercial Court against financial services institutions concerning interest rates derivatives products.
- Generally advising numerous corporates and plc’s in relation to all manner of failed IT projects pursuing recalcitrant IT contractors. Notably:
- Advising a global multinational IT corporation in its claim for significant outstanding project fees the defence of a multi-million pound cross-claim brought by the customer claiming fraudulent misrepresentation, breach of contract and negligence.
- Advising a national IT contractor in the defence of major claim brought by a dissatisfied customer claiming significant damages for alleged breach of contract and negligence relating to a lengthy and highly complex IT project.
- Lead partner in Clyde & Co’s highly ranked procurement litigation team, variously acting for either contracting authorities or unsuccessful bidders in relation to procurement challenges, both High Court proceedings under the Public Contracts Regulations 2015 and judicial review. Experience includes managing pre-action/early disclosure, the lifting of the automatic suspension on issue of the Claim Form and complex issues in relation to confidentiality rings. Notable cases include:
- Advising an NHS Trust in the defence of a claim brought by an unsuccessful bidder in relation to high value pathology services framework.
- Advising a range of corporate bidders on protecting their rights under the public procurement regime with particular experience in facilities management, transport and infrastructure projects.
- Advising ‘behind the scenes’ on pre-action litigation strategy for both UK and international contractors.