Brad assists with advice and representation for a wide variety of professional and general liability claims. He brings to his insurance work a background in commercial legal work and he has valuable experience working in-house at a large Australian insurer.
Regulatory and investigations
- Assisting insured motor vehicle dealership to successfully defend at trial (in the Magistrates Court) a claim for damages for breach of contract and misleading and deceptive conduct.
- Assisting a mortgage broker to respond to the Australian Financial Complaints Authority's investigation of a complaint against them.
- Assisting a registered nurse in connection with the Australian Health Practitioner Regulation Agency's investigation of a complaint against them.
- Assisting an aged care provider to resolve high profile proceedings, brought by family of an elderly client, claiming damages for harm occasioned by the abuse of the client by staff.
- Assisting with initial response and management of a regulatory action and legal proceedings against a child care provider in connection with the abduction and sexual abuse of children in its care.
Insurance and reinsurance business lines
- Successfully defending at trial, and on appeal, a claim against an adventure camp relating to allegations of unsafe equipment and procedures said to have led to multiple injuries.
- Investigating and advising insurer on the defence and eventual "walk away" resolution of a wrongful death claim against a group home care provider.
- Investigating and advising insurer regarding a claim for damages for catastrophic injuries caused to a child by a lawnmower operated by another child.
- Defending and managing a claim against an insured secondary school (association and its officers) in connection with the sexual assault of the claimant by a school teacher.
- Defending and resolving a litigated claim against a respite care provider in connection with the unauthorised restraint of a self-injurious client by carers.
- Resolving claim against an accountant in relation to negligent taxation advice to individuals, companies and trustees of superannuation funds, failure to prepare income tax and GST returns and legislative non-compliance.
- Resolving multi-party claim, against a design engineer and one other, relating to damage to a mobile crane occasioned by the partial collapse of a steel framework under construction.
- Resolving without litigation a complex claim against an architect, by client residents of an incomplete luxury home, in connection with latent site conditions, the architect's certifications and incorrect placement of internal walls.
- Providing indemnity advice in relation to a claim for damages, against an engineer, arising from an alleged breach of professional duty by the engineer in the conduct of his business (certifying footings) in the early 1990s.
- Providing indemnity advice in relation to a principal/designer's claim against industrial plastics manufacturer, for loss and damage occasioned by failure of plastic drainage pipes at third party construction sites.