John is Clyde & Co's home grown, new generation talent.
His professional development started with the firm in 2006 and he has built upon his strong technical expertise and regional experience to progress through ranks, joining the partnership two years ago.
John's commercial litigation and arbitration practice encompasses a wide variety of disputes before civil law, common law and international arbitration tribunals within the Middle East, with a particular focus on professional negligence defence litigation in the local courts. As the list of matters set out below shows, John's solid reputation as a commercial litigation and arbitration practitioner, means that he is currently instructed on some of the most high-profile disputes in the region with a proven track record of acting on behalf of his local and international clients, gained through his 15+ years’ on-the-ground experience with Clyde & Co. John’s expertise extends to appearing as counsel and undertaking oral advocacy on behalf of his clients in international arbitrations; to sitting as sole and co-arbitrator in a number of commercial disputes within the region.
- Successfully defending a USD125m+ claim against a Big Four firm commenced by a UAE based investor seeking losses arising out of the purchase of a target company in the UAE before the Dubai Courts caused by the alleged failure of our client to identify fraud and breach of accounting regulations and alleged duties.
- Representing a Big Four firm appointed as external joint-auditors for a Kuwaiti listed company in criminal proceedings and a number of civil claims arising out of allegations of negligence relating to audit work carried out in Kuwait and the failure to identify cost transfers between certain construction contracts entered into by the company arising as a result of management fraud and resulting in errors in the financial statements.
- Advising on UAE law in relation to a civil claim brought against an international audit firm in the English Courts alleging negligence which resulting in the alleged inability of the Claimant to enter into a scheme of arrangement which would, in turn, have permitted it to focus on its Middle East operations in the defence sector.
- Acting on behalf of a Saudi investment company in a multi-million dollar dispute arising out of a shareholders agreement and associated rights comprising three separate arbitrations in multiple jurisdictions, including UAE and India, administered pursuant to the UNCITRAL and LCIA Rules.
- Acting on behalf of a developer in arbitration proceedings arising out of the termination of a multi-million dollar sale and purchase agreement relating to a high-profile mixed-use residential development administered by the DIFC-LCIA.
- Acting on behalf of a transport and logistics provider in arbitration proceedings administered by the DIAC arising out of a fuel transportation agreement relating to claims in excess of USD 65 million.