Prior to joining Clyde & Co, John gained 17 years' experience as a deck officer and master of ships, mainly bulk carriers.
Since 1992 when he joined the Firm, he has been investigating and advising clients on marine casualties including: fire and explosion, grounding, sinking, collision, damage to cargo, general average, sale and purchase disputes, personal injury, chartering issues, and insurance related disputes.
In addition to his "seafaring" skills John is also a Fellow of the Institute of Chartered Shipbrokers.
John became a Legal Director in 2009.
- "SAMCO EUROPE" – advising clients on all aspects of the collision with the vessel "MSC PRESTIGE" and the subsequent dispute over General Average
- "ZHI QIANG" – advising our clients following the grounding on a well-charted coral reef in clear weather in unexplained circumstances. The voyage was abandoned, and the ship and remaining cargo were salvaged, although a large amount of cargo was lost in order to refloat the vessel
- "SUBRO VALOR" – Fire – salvage – unseaworthiness
- "ASTERIE" – Semi-submersible drilling platform – charter party dispute – arbitration
- "LAUBERHORN" – two groundings in one voyage – salvage – unseaworthiness – arbitration
- "TRADE DARING" – bulk carrier broke in two on loading berth
- "STOLT SPUR" – advising on demurrage claims including laytime following an appeal from arbitration
- "REA" – grounding - salvage – unsafe port (Rouen) – arbitration
- "CHERYL C" – advising clients on all aspects of the cargo recovery claim following grounding and the subsequent loss of the vessel and cargo
- "APL PANAMA" – advising clients on all aspects arising from a large container vessel grounded in Mexico in clear weather