Bob Mangino is a partner in our Insurance and Reinsurance Group who focused his practice on complex insurance and reinsurance litigation and arbitrations. Bob represents domestic and international insurers and reinsurers in a variety of complex disputes, including asbestos and environmental coverage, E&O and D&O and property litigation. He recently obtained a complete victory for an international E&O insurer on the “duty to defend” issue.
In addition to litigated matters, Bob has vast experience in reinsurance arbitrations, representing both cedents and reinsurers as lead counsel in more than 100 matters over the last 20 years. His success rate is on par with the most preeminent attorneys in this field. He is also very cognizant of the clients’ interests in avoiding litigation or arbitration where possible. Bob's coverage advice and negotiation skills have led to favorable outcomes in many non-litigated matters.
Prior to joining Clyde & Co., Bob was a partner at Mendes & Mount for 18 years, where he served in the firm’s Litigation Department.
- New York
- New Jersey
- US District Courts for the Southern and Eastern Districts of New York
- US District Court for District of New Jersey
- US District Court of Appeals for the Second Circuit
- J.D., Fordham University, 1984
- B.A., Government, University of Note Dame, 1981
- ARIAS U.S.
- American Bar Association, Tort and Insurance Practices Section
- Excess, Surplus Lines and Reinsurance Committee, past chair
- Achieved an extremely favorable settlement for an international insurer after seven years of a coverage litigation in Louisiana concerning Katrina-related property damage claims.
- Successful representation of an international insurer in an E&O dispute, including the rare recoupment of previously reimbursed defense expenses.
- Successful representation of an insurer/coverholder in health care coverage litigation, resulting in a de minimus settlement payment.
- Many successful US reinsurance arbitrations involving US, UK and German reinsurers concerning a broad variety of coverages and issues.
- Safeguard Storage v. Donahue Farret Contractors, et al., Orleans Parish, La. 2012
- General Re v. Underwriters at Lloyd’s, N.Y. Sup. Ct., Oct. 8, 2002
- North River v. Philadelphia Re et al., 63 F.3d 160, 2d Cir. 1995
- Frequent speaker and contributor at ABA, ARIAS and other industry seminars
- “Recent Developments in Excess, Surplus Lines and Reinsurance," Tort & Insurance Law Journal, 2001