Daniel’s practice is focussed on liability and coverage disputes. He is recognised as a leading expert in Dispute Resolution and Insurance law. He has been in practice since 1983.
He has extensive experience in advising insurers on:
- Assets and Business Interruption
- Product Liability
- Professional Indemnity
- Directors and Officers
- Construction and Engineering
- Financial Lines
His involvement in liability arising under the policies mentioned gives him extensive and significant experience in advising on and in defending claims against insureds arising under the policies mentioned above.
Daniel is independently recognised in leading industry guides for his work in Insurance and Dispute Resolution, noting, "Daniel Le Roux is well respected for his work across insurance law, with impressive experience of contentious matters". Peers describe him as "very, very strong" and "an excellent practitioner". Daniel is described by market commentators as a "leading lawyer in this space" who is "very well known in the insurance industry". He is widely renowned for his prowess in litigation, with notable expertise in professional indemnity, product liability and construction claims.
Daniel’s experience includes the following notable cases:
- Representing the financial director (defendant) in a claim against him in the matter of the Liquidators of the CNA vs John Newton both successfully in the High Court and in the Supreme Court of Appeal.
- Advising insurers on coverage and on liability of the directors of Regal Bank (which bank was liquidated).
- Advising the insurers of directors of State Owned companies on their liability consequent upon the publication of the State of Capture report.
- Advising on liability of directors for environmental pollution and on coverage for such liability.
- Advising the directors and insurers of African bank on the liability of the directors and on coverage for such liability and overseeing and co-operating their defence. The defence of claim has been successful in the High Court and before the Supreme Court of Appeal and is a leading case in the liability of directors to shareholders for reflective loss in value of their shares.
- Advising the insurers of Fund Managers on their liability and coverage subsequent upon the alleged failure for their investment strategy.
- Advising the insurers of the CEO of a State Owned Enterprise in managing the overseeing litigation in hearing such director declared a delinquent director under the Companies Act.
- Advising the insurers of directors of a Sate Owned Enterprise in a dispute to have the director removed from the board.
- Advising insurers and re-insurers on several claims made by Financial institutions under crime, Brokers Bond and Professional Indemnity Policies.
- Advising insurers on coverage in relation to claims against directors of Steinhoff and Tongaat.
- Advising insurers on liability of Tiger Brands following claims for damages caused by listeriosis and in defending Tiger Brands in the class action brought against it.
- Representing air carriers and insurers in air accidents and incidents.
- Representing airlines, airport operators and aircraft maintenance organisations and their insurers in a range of industry related matters and regulatory disputes.
- Representing manufacturers, distributors and product liability insurers, including within the motor, agrochemical and pharmaceutical sectors, and in a number of leading cases in South Africa.
- Representing professional indemnity insurers in claims involving a number of different professions including pension fund administrators and trustees, attorneys, medical practitioners and engineers.
- Advising contractors and insurers in complex industrial, mining, construction and engineering disasters and disputes.