Kiri specialises in workplace relations, regulatory enforcement proceedings and large scale commercial dispute resolution.
Kiri advises clients on a wide range of strategic, regulatory and risk management issues in the workplace including WHS, industrial disputes, discrimination, bullying and harassment.
Kiri focus is on providing practical and commercial advice to clients. On a day-to-day basis, she advises on a variety of matters including the management of employment issues in the workplace, drafting and negotiating employment contracts, policies and procedures, discrimination and harassment, management of ill or injured employees, termination of employment and industrial issues.
Kiri also represents employers in various types of employment- related litigation, including breach of contract claims, unfair dismissal claims, general protection (adverse action) claims, industrial disputes and discrimination and harassment claims. She provides workplace relations training to many organisations, particularly in relation to legislative reforms and legal developments.
Work, health & safety
- Acting for an international energy company in relation to a coronial inquest arising from the electrocution of a member of the public
- Acting for Department of Trade and Industry in relation to a prosecution under work health and safety legislation in NSW arising from a fatality in a mine including, drafting pleadings, drafting statement of facts, negotiating with the defendant and acting as instructing solicitor during hearing
- Acting for a waste and environmental management company and its director in relation to approximately 120 prosecutions under the Heavy Vehicle National Law (and its predecessor)
- Acting for a number of clients in developing and implementing workplace health and safety procedures (including training programs) – for example, a large water supplier and an electrical utility company
- Acting for an international energy company in relation to a series of industrial disputes arising from enterprise bargaining negotiations, outsourcing and restructuring
- Acting on behalf of a state owned corporation in relation to an adverse action claim brought against the company and a senior manager before Fair Work Australia and the Federal Court.
- Acting on behalf of two national franchisors in relation to ‘unfair contracts’ claim in the Federal Court and Supreme Court of New South Wales
- Acting for an IT company in the Industrial Court of NSW, NSW Court of Appeal and High Court of Australia concerning the characterisation of a contract ‘for the performance of work’
- Acting for an electrical utility company in relation to an industrial dispute arising from an alternative dispute resolution clause in an enterprise agreement brought by a union following disciplinary action against a number of employees for breaches of the employer’s policies and procedures
- Acting for a broadcast transmission provider in developing and implementing employment related policies and procedures
- Acting for an electrical utility company in relation to investigations regarding allegations of bullying and harassment, discrimination and regulatory compliance
- Investigation of allegations of sexual harassment by employee of a national project management corporation involving interviewing witnesses, preparing statements; drafting incident report and providing advice regarding potential liability
- Investigation of allegations of bullying and harassment by employee of a health industry corporation involving interviewing multiple witnesses, preparing statements, drafting incident report, reporting to board and providing advice regarding potential liability, attending mediation to resolve workplace grievance dispute, drafting settlement documentation