Farhad is an Associate in the Corporate Tax team in our London office.
Farhad joined Clyde & Co in June 2018 and prior to this, Farhad was a member of HMRC's Solicitor's Office. While at HMRC, Farhad had conduct of a wide caseload including complex, high-value and high-profile direct and indirect tax disputes (involving many reported cases) before the tax tribunals, the High Court, Court of Appeal, UK Supreme Court and the Court of Justice of the European Union.
Farhad is a member of the VAT Practitioners Group. In addition to his general work on M&A, property and employment matters, Farhad also has specialist expertise in Customs Duties, Excise Duties and Landfill Tax, and VAT in the Middle East.
- Advised on the tax aspects of various M&A transactions including both insured and uninsured deals.
- Advised on a wide range of different VAT matters for companies operating in the Middle East, including in relation to cross border transactions, recovering input VAT, and disputes with the UAE Federal Tax Authority.
- Successfully resolved multiple HMRC enquiries into clients' historic landfill tax compliance.
- Advised on various customs duty and import VAT matters including in relation to the import of ships and planes, onward supply relief, and the seizure of goods by customs.
- Successfully challenged and overturned a Stamp Duty Land Tax assessment issued by HMRC in the sum of £197,250.00.
- Advised on the tax aspects of the acquisition and conversion into a 4-star 350 bedroom hotel of a central London building (transaction value circa £175m).
- Advised a UK Construction firm on a major development in the South East of England.
- Advised various different UK insurers (and their insureds) on merits of professional negligence tax claims brought against legal and accounting firms.
- Advised an international client on the establishment of a share warrant plan.