Nadia has over twenty years of experience acting as counsel and sitting as arbitrator in commercial and investor-state arbitrations covering numerous applicable laws and seats of arbitration. Nadia's experience spans the commercial spectrum, with particular focus on M&A, construction, telecoms, pharmaceuticals, energy and natural resources. She regularly handles disputes arising out of joint venture, shareholder and distribution agreements, as well as investment treaties.
Before joining Clyde & Co, Nadia practiced in the International Arbitration Groups of leading international law firms based in Paris, Frankfurt and London. She also spent five years in Shanghai, where her practice focused on acting as counsel in disputes under the major regional arbitration rules including SIAC, HKIAC and CIETAC. Nadia also has deep ICC expertise, having led the Europe, Middle East, Africa team at the ICC for a period of three years, during which she oversaw more than 400 ICC arbitrations.
Nadia is a member of the ICC Commission on Arbitration and the ICC Taskforce on Addressing Issues of Corruption in International Arbitration.
Nadia is dual-qualified in England & Wales (Solicitor-Advocate) and Germany (Rechtsanwältin). She earned her LLM in International Public Law from the University of Cambridge and her LLB from the University of Warwick. She conducts arbitrations in French, German and English and speaks Mandarin Chinese and Dutch. Nadia is a German and Dutch national.
Nadia has received several accolades for his work in international arbitration and public international law. in 2022, she was awarded the Swiss Arbitration Association (ASA) Prize for Advocacy in International Commercial Arbitration, a prize awarded every two years to a chosen individual with “exceptional talents in advocacy”. She is listed in the Global Listing of Arbitrators as well as a National Leader in France by Who’s Who Legal (2022). Furthermore she has been recognized by Legal 500 and by Best Lawyers®.
Clients have described Nadia as “innovative, pragmatic and a true leader”, “a real strategist” and “a very strong cross-examiner,” praising that she is “business-minded and sees the bigger picture, which is great from a client perspective” (Chambers and Partners) and that “she is extremely articulate, clear and compelling in her arguments” (Who’s Who Legal).
Selected experience as counsel
- Representing a Spanish natural resources company in enforcement proceedings in North Africa.
- Representing an East-African state-owned company in set-aside proceedings before the French Courts.
- Representing an African government in an UNCITRAL arbitration (PCA appointing authority) relating to the construction of a road in sub-Saharan Africa.
- Representing a multinational in a post-M&A ICC arbitration in the metallurgy sector.
- Representing an African government in an ICSID arbitration relating to the alleged expropriation of an online platform to help fund community projects.
- Representing an Asian State-owned entity in an UNCITRAL arbitration.
- Representing a south-east Asian State-owned company in an ICC arbitration in the construction sector.
- Representing an African government in an ICSID arbitration and ICSID annulment proceedings relating to the restructuring of the Commercial Bank of Cameroon.
- Acting in an ICC arbitration arising out of the refurbishment of a hydropower plant.
- Acting in an ICC arbitration concerning a dispute with a European architecture firm related to the construction of a high-rise building in North Africa.
- Defending a French chemical company in a post-M&A ICC arbitration.
- Acting for a West-African company in an OHADA arbitration against a bank relating to letters of guarantee.
- Representing a Turkish construction company in an ICC arbitration relating to the construction of a shopping mall.
- Acting for a European State-owned electricity company in an ICC arbitration relating to a construction contract for a hydro-power plant.
- Representing a German company in a SIAC arbitration related to a joint venture agreement dispute.
- Representing a US multinational in a post-M&A arbitration under the HKIAC rules.
- Representing a US pharmaceutical company in a dispute conducted under the DIS arbitration rules relating to a pharmaceutical licensing and distribution agreement.
- Defending a US chemical manufacturer in a consolidated multi-jurisdictional ICC construction arbitration.
Selected experience as arbitrator
- Sole Arbitrator in an ad hoc arbitration in the real estate sector.
- Co-arbitrator in an ad hoc arbitration in the entertainment sector.
- President of the Tribunal in a post-M&A arbitration in the financial sector.
- President of the Tribunal in an ICC arbitration arising out of the termination of a license and supply agreement in the pharmaceuticals sector.
- Sole arbitrator in an ICC arbitration arising out of a joint-venture agreement in the innovation sector.
- President of the Tribunal in a DIAC dispute relating to the distribution of pharmaceuticals in North Africa.
- Sole Arbitrator in an ad hoc arbitration in the real-estate sector.
- President of the Tribunal in an ICC dispute relating to the distribution of foodstuffs in Turkey.
- President of the Tribunal in an ICC dispute relating to the acquisition of a telecoms company in sub-Saharan Africa.
- Co-arbitrator in two ICC disputes relating to the supply of oil and gas products in sub-Saharan Africa.
- Sole Arbitrator in an LCIA dispute relating to the construction of a methanol fuel plant.
- Co-arbitrator in an ICC dispute relating to a distribution agreement concerning medical equipment in the Middle-East.
- President of the Tribunal in a LMAA dispute relating to the sale of an oil tanker vessel.
- Sole arbitrator in an ICC dispute relating to the supply and purchase of polypropylene film.