Mark advises clients on all aspects of brand protection and enforcement including trade mark filing strategy, trade mark selection and prosecution, validity and infringement and trade mark oppositions. Mark also advises on counterfeit goods matters and domain name disputes. His experience ranges from working with established leading global brands in devising enforcement strategies, to smaller companies at an earlier stage, helping them develop brand protection strategies to complement their business and support their commercial success.
Mark’s clients over the years have been diverse in the sectors in which they operate including in media and entertainment, fashion, aviation, cosmetics, toys and games, food and drink and pharmaceuticals.
Mark is active in a number of trade mark organisations. He chairs the Intellectual Asset Management team at MARQUES, and is a member of the International Trade Mark Association's Emerging Issues Committee.
Mark has been a recommended trade mark attorney in both the WTR 1000 and Legal 500 directories. Prior to moving to the UAE, Mark was a Partner at a leading London specialist firm of patent and trade mark attorneys.
- Advising noon on its AED 1.23 billion (USD 335.2 million) acquisition of Namshi from Emaar Malls.
- Acting for and advising one of the leading global toy and entertainment companies on trade mark matters, including clearing major new brands for use, and successfully enforcing trade mark rights for the company’s leading brands.
- Advising a large UAE based private equity fund on brand protection matters in emerging markets across Africa and Asia.
- Advising a global hotel management group on its brand protection strategy worldwide, including in the Middle East as it expanded its operations.
- Advising a world leading pharmaceutical company in the enforcement of its brand, the product related to which was off-patent, effectively leaving the trade marks as the only tools for enforcement.
- Providing advice to a global sports shoe manufacturer on brand protection and enforcement in the Middle East, particularly with respect to counterfeit goods.
- Advising a leading US supermarket chain on its intellectual property matters in the UK and Europe including clearing marketing campaigns at the time of the London 2012 Olympic Games, working within strict International Olympic Committee brand use guidelines.
- Handling UK and European Union trade mark oppositions for a wide range of clients including leading global companies in the pharmaceutical, cosmetics and entertainment sectors.
- Representing a global dairy company and successfully defending one of its key brands before the UK Intellectual Property Office.
- Advising a number of luxury goods manufacturers on their brand protection strategies in the Middle East, including in respect of non-conventional trade marks.
- Advising a world leading airline on brand protection and enforcement in the UAE and globally.